Fall is a time we can finally get back outside after the intense heat of our Oklahoma summers. And unlike the chaotic weather of spring, fall gives us plenty of cool, stable weather to get outside and explore. Because Jack can’t spend much time outside during the summer, we try to squeeze as much time outdoors as we can during other times of the year.
We have a fairly simple bucket list, owing to the fact that we can’t always do typical activities due to Jack’s spine condition. He cannot overheat, so even rolling down the car windows isn’t possible during much of the year. So while some of these may seem simple, they’re really special for us.
This winter we’ll do a “reverse” bucket list, where we’ll take a look back at what we actually did during the fall season. This is a fun activity, but sometimes the best part of life isn’t what you plan, it’s what happens spontaneously!
Our Fall Bucket List
- Take Jack on his first trail hike in Oklahoma while in cast
- Plant our garden with fall produce
- Drive with the windows down
- Visit one state park we’ve never been to
- Spend more than 30 minutes outside at once!
- Roast marshmallows over our fire pit
- Add another national wildlife refuge to the kids’ stamp books
- Take in a high school football game (ok, not nature-based, but definitely a fall activity!)
- Let kids stay up late one night to hear the elk bugling
- Go to the playground whenever we want!
- Eat dinner at the picnic table
- Go to the zoo
- Play outdoor games like cornhole and backyard football
What’s on your fall bucket list? Please share with us!